In News

 

Remedial works to improve safety at a notorious accident blackspot have been greeted by ‘dismay and outright fury’ by campaigners.

Suffolk County Council (SCC) said following an inspection at Fishwick Corner, Thurston, near Bury St Edmunds,

it will be renewing road markings and clearing back ‘some vegetation’ to improve visibility.

Temporary signs will also be in place next week leading to further work to create a staggered junction, by developers Bloor Homes.

 

Fishwick Corner, Thurston, near Bury St Edmunds. Picture: Submitted/Google Maps
Fishwick Corner, Thurston, near Bury St Edmunds

But campaigners have been left fuming after the county council said it would also be asking police for recommendations – after what it called a ‘sudden increase’ in accidents.

Campaigner Andrew Ridgeon, said: “There has always been accident at the junction, for decades.

“It has got worse thought over the last four years and significantly over the last year, due to four new housing developments and traffic avoiding the A14 roadworks.

The staggered junction plan for the junction. Picture: Bloor Homes/Google Maps
The staggered junction plan for the junction. Picture: Bloor Homes/Google Maps

“There has been incidents every day, very high levels of speeding, huge uplift in traffic flow and nothing done to mitigate these dangers. No wonder we are in the mess we are subjected to.

“I can’t recall being so enraged, and I know our community will share the same dismay and outright fury.”

In a letter to campaigners, seen by SuffolkNews, Andrew Cook, executive director for growth, highways and Infrastructure, said: “I can advise that my team have contacted the police to review these recent incidents and try to identify why there has been a sudden increase – will respond accordingly to any recommendations that they might have.

“An SCC inspector has also visited the site again to check whether there are any remedial works to vegetation or line markings that can be undertaken, and orders have been raised for some minor vegetation trimming and a refresh of lining.

 

Campaigners at the junction last Novemeber. Picture by Mark Westley
Campaigners at the junction last Novemeber. Picture by Mark Westley

“Beyond this, all approach signing is in place and visible.

“I can also confirm that associated developer works are scheduled to commence soon with road space booked for August 15 to 29 around the junction to construct a minor works access to allow the main works to commence.

“This will include appropriate temporary warning signs on approach to the junction.